Monday, March 8, 2010

Being reminded of my blessings

As soon as we got back from Cabo and I made it back into work the next day, I was reminded of my blessings. I was stopped by a faculty colleague who has just completed her chemo. She stopped me to ask what to expect from her radiation treatments, starting this week actually.

We stood there for a few minutes, with me asking her questions and then relaying as many tips as I could to help her prepare for radiation and all that comes with it.

She especially appreciated me saying that she needs to just prepare herself for the fact that when treatment is officially 'over', it's not at all over. And how she will still be feeling the effects for 12-18 months post treatment. The look on her face was like mine now nearly a year ago...I heard that, but I didn't really believe it. I was so anxious to get my life back to normal, that I was in a kind of denial about the after-treatment stuff. So it hit me hard when I didn't bounce right back to normal following treatment.

It's good that I can help this colleague and also another colleague, both 6-9 months behind me with their cancer journeys. Hopefully they'll be helped by my experience and will be more realistic about how long it takes to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment