Sunday, January 10, 2010

Doing What We Can Do

Friday night was absolutely freezing outside here in Indy, so Ted and I decided to bunk-in for a big movie night. We watched "Food Incorporated" and I was deeply affected by it. The movie basically chronicles how we've gone from locally-grown food provided by our regional farmers to 3-5 large companies controlling and mass-producing our food and holding farmers hostage to a "my-way-or-the-highway" process.

Notice how many food recalls we've had lately? Watch this movie and you'll absolutely understand why and how this happens. I swear I'll never buy a package of hamburger again, much less trust eating one from a fast food chain.

Not only did the movie reveal huge quality and safety issues with our food, but it also provided a deeply troubling look at the way these companies abuse animals in how they're raised and killed, but also how they knowingly hire and badly-treat employees who are not able or willing to speak up regarding frightening working conditions.

I told Ted that if I was 25-years-old again, I would take this on as my mission in life! So what to do as a 56-year-old who has a full plate and a lot less energy? First of all, order/download this movie! The producer provides an entire list of action items at the end. Second, if you can...buy organic produce, preferably from local farmer's markets. My friend Ginny has done this forever! I admit that it's a new habit I need to start as I live a block from a weekly farmer's market...no excuses for moi'. Also try and buy your meat/poultry locally. Again, I did this religiously when my kids were small as I was scared to death about feeding them meat/chicken with growth hormone, now banned. But I fell out of the habit as I went back to work.

Most importantly and I'll tell you that this is a habit I've had for years...play a game as you're shopping at your local grocery, to NOT go into any aisle (cleaning and laundry supply exceptions allowed). Rather, shop the perimeter of the store...produce, then meat, bread and dairy...then out the door. You'll be healthier for it.

I can't stand the thought that the scenes I saw in this movie happen daily...the abused animals and employees and our precious farmers. I am vowing to do my part to change my consumer behavior. In response to its customers, even Walmart is looking at and changing some of the products it buys. So the most important way we can change the industry...as customers, is to change the way we buy. In what we demand by our buying behaviors, we can make this change happen!

2 comments:

  1. Check out the Winter Market on East ST. between 10th St. and St. Clair, Saturday mornings 9-12:30. Great place to get locally grown food. Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I loved your post and I'm really getting into this issue as well. We love Goose the Market at 25th and Delaware for meat. They get most of their meat locally and it tastes amazing. Their Thanksgiving turkey's are incredible and they have an online insruction video on how to brine. Locally grown gardens (54th and College) right next to the monon has great veggies and citrus! Fortunately Indy has some great alternatives to the mega food stores! Hope you are doing well! Julia Taylor

    ReplyDelete