Thursday, June 4, 2009

Always Learning!

One of the things that has amazed me about my cancer journey is that each phase represents a whole new boat-load of stuff to know. There's the medical stuff, but then there's also the invaluable every-day, how-to-get-through-it tips that are really important to know.

I went in for my post-radiation appointment with my oncologist yesterday, followed by my 4th Zometa treatment. I was seen instead by a lovely, proficient nurse practitioner, who did a very nice job of talking with me, examining me, and preparing me for the start of Arimidex, which I started this morning. I was only disappointed not seeing Dr. Miller because you form a bond with someone at the time of diagnosis and it would have been nice to have celebrated the end of phases 1,2 and 3 with her yesterday. But I also understand that her focus needs to be on the brand new lot of folks facing all the decisions of the early-diagnosis phase, so her time is needed even more there. I get that.

So here's what I learned this week...
  • My dear friend, Brenda Rittenhouse called to check up on me and asked if I knew about the 'popcorn icebag' trick. I've never heard of this and man oh man, is it a good idea. You get ziplock snack bags and fill them with a layer of popcorn and stick them in the freezer. These bags are so 'moldable' to any part of your body and are small enough to stick in and be held by your clothing, so you can ice down without holding still. Each bag lasts about 15 minutes which is the recommended time to ice. The popcorn also doesn't get mushy like a bag of peas, so you can keep re-using them. LOVE IT...thanks so much Brenda!
  • My other learning is that every time I see a health professional, I need to ask the question..."Do I know everything I need to know about how to handle this treatment?" or "Is there anything that can be done to lessen the side effects of this treatment? This is so important because guess what? I asked that question yesterday about the 3-5 days of flu-like effects from Zometa and the nurse said..."Oh, we can take care of that. We'll just give you Decadron and Toradol IV before we give you the Zometa and you won't experience those effects". WHAT? Where was this advice the first 3 times? So I have no fever today, no achiness...only the pre-Zometa level of fatigue and burn healing effects. Praise the Lord for that!! So my advice...be sure you always ask lots of questions and take someone with you to remind you to ask lots of questions. The folks seeing us are busy, are thinking about all they have to do that day, have lives outside of work they may be worrying about...and like us, just don't always remember to tell us stuff that would really help us. Not intentionally...just being human beings!
  • I'm amazed at the level of emotional support I still need. Many, many of you have sent me emails and/or called or left blog posts, visited or sent cards the past couple of weeks and I'm amazed that you're not just TIRED of it all! It's a lot to support someone over an extended period of time. I've been so guilty of doing something nice for someone in need and then just checking that 'to-do' off my list mentally. I'm now experiencing what's it's like to NOT have been checked-off other people's lists and it's really humbling and reminds me to work on that in my own life from now on. Teddy-bless his sweet heart--deserves the ultimate prize. Yesterday he took me out for a great lunch then stayed with me through my appointment and treatment. Thanks so much Teddy!

4 comments:

  1. There is a fine print clause on my prayer list....once you are put on the list you never come off the list! It has been and still is my utmost pleasure to keep you and the family in prayer. Gentle hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bert Bell--you are number one on my list of people who never quit remembering those who need your prayers. Thanks isn't sufficient, but please know how much I appreciate your everlasting love and support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a shining example and an endless source of information. I think we are all storing up your hints and advice to share w others whenever the occasion may present itself. We need to celebrate the end of these phases of your treatment very soon. Love ya, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Julie,

    It was soo great to see you today- even though we didn't get to talk much. I love hearing your Fin and Parker stories. You look great and you inspire me.

    Love you
    Leah

    ReplyDelete