Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hair!


For some of you, seeing my fuzzy little head and big schnoz will be more than you wanted to see! But for others, seeing this picture of my soft duck fuzz will cause rejoicing! Yes, it's true...I have de-scarfed for good! It happened during the Indy 500 race. I had carefully planned my outfit to match a beautiful cotton scarf that my sweet neighbor Emine had so carefully hemmed for me. But as I sat there in the full sun, I suddenly realized that if I didn't let some heat escape from my head, I was going to have a heat stroke for sure! So off came the scarf!

The immediate reaction from family and friends was that they couldn't believe I was still covering my head and that my duck fuzz looked just fine! So I'm now free! With the summer heat now in full gear, my hair is coming back just in time!

I ask for special prayers for the next five days. My burned and blistered skin is gradually improving but still fairly painful. My energy level has really been low still from the cumulative and continuing effects of the radiation, so I'm not looking forward to my IV-Zometa treatment tomorrow, which will cause another 3-5 days of low-grade fever and flu-like aches. If you remember, I'm in this national clinical trial, testing whether Zometa (originally developed to treat osteoporosis) lessens the chance that the cancer will come back in my bones. I have monthly treatments...so tomorrow is my June infusion, then also in July and August. After that, I will receive IV-Zometa every 3 months for another 30 months! I also see my oncologist tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll hear more about when I start on the oral drug, Arimidex, which I'll take for 5 years.

I'm just so anxious to feel good again! I know...patience, patience!

4 comments:

  1. Praise God & Yahoo! The duck fuzz as you call it looks great. Yep coming in baby fine & you will have more hair then before...one of the upsides of all of this. ;o) Still taking you before His throne of grace. Dancing and praising Him for the accomplishment of this in your earthen body as your heavenly body is healed and whole! Gentle hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the hair returning! I think of you often as I drive past on New York heading home. I'll e-mail soon to get you and Ted on the calendar for dinner with Bob and me. Looking forward to catching up.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look! You look so very trendy. Onwards and upwards, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the hair!! I'm not sure I'll recognize you when it all grows in :). So glad to hear you're doing well. I think of you often.

    Jamie
    IU Hospital
    2North

    ReplyDelete