Friday, June 12, 2009

The importance of nurse researchers!


I had an interesting Thursday evening. The Dean of IU's School of Nursing invited all graduate faculty and doctoral students to dinner at her lovely condo clubhouse in Broad Ripple. While there, I had the chance to meet fellow faculty members that I don't know well yet. Several of them sought me out as they could tell from the newly-emerging hair growth, that I'm in early recovery from cancer treatment. All in all, I met three nurse researchers who are investigating helpful interventions for three of the most long-lasting of post-treatment effects...hot flashes, so called "chemo-brain" (named for the cognitive process lapses that occur) and fatigue.

This is such important work and I feel so fortunate that I'm in a place where I can come to know and support these smart people! I'm signed up for the hot flashes study and hopefully, won't qualify for the other two! The lady pictured is Dr. Janet Carpenter who is principal investigator for the hot flash intervention study.

I started a new 'recovery log' of my goals on the right panel, so watch to celebrate with me as each goal is met!

No comments:

Post a Comment