Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dem Supposes

I've had a busy week, so was catching up on my daily devotions this morning and just have to share a phrase that I love! The story is about a beautiful African American woman who had such a sweet, calm spirit in the midst of a lot of potential circumstances that could have left her in a precarious position in terms of health & finances. Her friend Nancy was listing all the possible hazards, when the woman said "Stop! I never supposes....it's all 'dem supposes' as is makin' you so mis'able. You'd better give dem all up and just trust de Lord."

I also just read a devotion written by my dear friend Mike Akers that was surprisingly on the exact same topic (Ya think God is tellin' me something today?). I love this quote too.

"When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened." -- Winston Churchill

I'm such a forward-thinker and planner and organizer, that my head is always full of 'dem supposes'. I so admire people who have the wonderful ability to stay in the 'now'. So this is going to be a remembered phrase for me...give up 'dem supposes'!

1 comment:

  1. Worry looks around but Faith looks up! Use your blog as your virtual book of rememberance. When "dem supposes" creep in to worry you, remember what God has done in and through you by reading your blog and the praise reports. The enemy would like nothing more then to fill your head with "dem supposes" to distract you from focusing on your Bridegroom King, Jesus. It's ok to be a planner and organizer, as long as your first thoughts are of Him. Many hugs & yes you got what I call a verily verily today!

    ReplyDelete