Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Appreciating Teachers!


I finally finished grading papers yesterday and now have all my grades turned in for this semester! I can't tell you how happy I feel to have a bit of a break over the holidays. I have several friends and family members who are teachers and so for years, I've watched and listened to them go through the same end-of-semester, can't-wait-for-a-break saga that I'm now going through. I get them now...completely.

You love your teaching, but it takes a lot of energy to be a great teacher. You get involved with your students. The good students are a breath of fresh air, sailing along with nothing more than an 'attaboy' or 'attagirl' here or there. The middle of the bell curve all need a bit of encouragement, a tip here or there...but with the right mix of 'push' and help, they make it. Then there's always 1 or 2 at the other end of the bell curve. They struggle and you can tell most of these folks have never had the kind of success that encourages them. Most have very low self-esteem or lots of life context complications. So these are the folks that take lots more energy. Most have good hearts and good intentions...they just need lots more help. When they respond...it's oh so satisfying!

So I'm still working...have some meetings to attend rest of week, but then...for the first time since 1986...what is that? 23 years? I'll actually be completely off the few days before Christmas! How delicious is that?

So for all the teachers reading this blog...I really appreciate your years of energy for your students! Have a great Christmas break before you begin all over again!

1 comment: