Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Year Ago Today


A year ago today, like many women, I went in for my annual mammogram. I gowned up and endured the usual 'squishing'. I was then taken into another room for an ultrasound, routine for me given the prior sightings of various dense areas. The technician would pause now and again, going over certain areas more carefully...again, something I was used to. She then said..."I'm going to have Dr. Schmidt take a look at this area...she often does that, no need for concern." So Dr. Schmidt came in and once again, carefully performed her testing while watching the ultrasound screen.

So then Dr. Schmidt asked me to sit up and spoke words I'll never forget. She wanted me to stay that day and have a MRI and then said that she wanted me to have a biopsy right away and that even if the results came back negative, she wouldn't believe it. It took a moment for her words to sink in, but her message was clear...I had cancer. Her wisdom was later confirmed with the MRI later that day, and then a biopsy on the 16th and the path report on the 17th. Then the whirlwind of emotion and activity began for our entire circle of close family and friends over the Christmas holiday with my lumpectomy on the 29th.

I admit that I'm having trouble putting my reflections into words as I sit here a year later. Mostly I feel. I feel thankful for Dr. Schmidt's diligence. Thankful for the many researchers and doctors who make fighting cancer their life's work (including my daughter-in-law-to-be Jo), thus affording me much better treatment strategies than were present a decade ago. Thankful that I had the very best of care from Drs Schmidt, Goulet, Miller and Andrews.

But ever so thankful for the loving care I received from Ted, Kyle, Joel, Brian, Brooke and Jo. Thankful for the thousands of prayers sent up on my behalf. Thankful for the hoards of cards, vacation retreats, meals, emails, calls, visits, gifts, races walked on my behalf, and love received from family and friends, in fact from many of you who still read this blog, that made all the difference in my recovery.

So more to mark this day and help me remember, so that I can help and encourage others, the thing that has surprised me the most is that the journey is still ongoing. I don't have the energy levels I'd like to have as of yet...making progress, but not there yet. In all honesty, I feel good about 2 days a month, which are cherished days indeed. I still need to take Aromatase for 4 1/2 more years each morning, a drug that I'm grateful for, but will be happy to finish. I will continue to go in for IV Zometa treatments every 3 months until May of 2012. In short, I have a ways to go. Many survivors I talk to say that it took them 18 months to 2 years beyond the completion of treatment to truly feel recovered. As much as I hate to think about that, I now understand how much the body needs to do to recover from surgery, chemo and radiation.

On the positive side, the cancer was caught early. I can't implore you enough ladies...despite the craziness of the recent change in screening guidelines...go get your annual exam! I am so blessed to live near a major cancer center...once again, get to the right place for treatment! Most of all, I am blessed with a strong faith and an army of people that care about me. It was indeed the greatest blessing of all, to feel that love so strongly this past year.

For all of the above, I celebrate today!

2 comments:

  1. Remember to not over do. Perhaps that is why your energy is coming back slowly rather then all at once....perhaps God knows you better then you know yourself and He knew that if He gave you back your old energy level you would be hither and yon lickety split. Take a moment and read Psalm 23 "The Lord is my Shepherd (to feed, guide and shield me) I shall not lack. He makes me lie down in (fresh, tender) green pastures, He leads me beside the still and restful waters. He refreshes and restore my life (my self)...." So while you are celebrating this milestone, start the journey of entering HIS rest. Sometimes He has to halt us in our tracks to get us to rest. Take the time and go scripture diving and discover what His rest is all about...and when you are truly ready He will restore that bubbly energy of yours and He will by then have taught you His proper rest and He will have organized your life to where you won't overdo. Many hugs....many Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a five year breast cancer survivor myself, I can testify to those low energy levels for the first year and beyond. It's quite normal. And as Bert Bell said, don't overdo it. Congratulations on your first cancerversary. Continued healing to you as you journey beyond cancer.

    ReplyDelete