Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Today is the BIG DAY!



It's finally here! My last day of radiation! The last day of phases 1 (surgery), 2 (chemo) and 3 (radiation) of my five phase treatment (4-Zometa for another 33 months and 5-Arimidex for 5 years). But it somehow feels like I've crossed the finish line--taken the checkered flag--had a drink of the milk of healing! I'm so very ready to get my life back to normal...even if it is a "new normal" that still contains some additional treatment and of course, those twice yearly check-ups.

We're celebrating today in fine style. First, we're going to lunch with Jodi and Ed Schaffer...dear friends of ours that we both worked with in the ER some 35+years ago! Then Teddy is taking me to R Bistro which is my favorite restaurant for dinner. So actually, it's going to be a full party day!

I'm filled with gratitude for all the hundreds of ways you've all touched Ted and me and our extended nuclear family with support over the last six months. You've all made such a difference in this tough journey...turning it into a ride we could handle despite the bumps along the way! Thank you all so very much!

I'm going to keep writing the blog for a little while longer because as they say...the healing continues. For me, the healing won't be complete until my energy is back, the skin on my chest is healed, I need a hair cut, I'm back in shape, Teddy feels like "I'm back" and I've completed my first check-up! So until then, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

4 comments:

  1. Julie:

    You sound great! Wish we could be with you there to celebrate. Have fun.

    Jim Kisela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah! So happy to hear radiation is OVER!
    We'll be praying for that skin to heal quickly!
    Hope you had a great time celebrating today.
    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations of finally hitting the last hurtle and crossing the finished line! I hope you continue blogging, you have a flair and insight I enjoy. Major hugs, still keeping all of you in prayer. Tickled pink about Brian & Brooke's pending wee one(s). Fin & Parker surely looked cute in those big brother & sister t shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah! What a glorious day. You have done a great job, hero! Be good to yourself, rest, relax and heal. Love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete