Saturday, December 20, 2008

Let the journey begin!

I suppose we all walk around aware at some level, that life is fragile and that each of us, at any time could be faced with a real life-changing challenge of one sort or another. So this was my week. I've shared with many of you already, but for those just learning of this for the first time, I learned this week that I have aggressive, invasive breast cancer. A routine mammogram on Dec 10th, led to an ultrasound and MRI same day, which then led to a core needle biopsy on Dec 16th. On Dec 17th at around 11am, I got the call. You know the one you really want to get, but yet dread at the same time. When my doctor confirmed that I did indeed have cancer and that it was the most aggressive, invasive kind...my heart skipped a beat or two.

So here's the good news...it's early, it's small, it's very treatable...but best of all...I have absolutely the best possible support system a person could have. The reason for this blog is to make it easier to keep you all updated and to receive your words of encouragement and to get my thanks back to you. I have literally been on the phone the entire day since Wednesday hearing such amazing words of encouragement and support. I've already received 50+ emails and it's only been 3 days! The other big reason for this blog is to create a link to Ted and our kids too, as they really need your support as well.

So watch for updates each couple of days and thank you, thank you for supporting my family through this challenge. God is good!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you posted this at 2:56AM...a sure sign that you are 'well' today! (Julie has made us a promise that she will admit to when she is 'well' and when she is 'not well'...a difficult thing for her to conceit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is "What are you doing up at 2:56am???? You should be sleeping, my friend. You know I'm here for you. We need a plan so we have a goal!!!! Go get 'em. The only iv bag I want hanging on the beach of Mexico is one filled with Margaritas!!! Love ya, Joey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to get "sager". Never having been on a blog before (or even seen one for that matter), I am hoepful this message gets to you. Joey helped (as usual). I don't know your exact circumstance (tissue type, etc), but we have two friends in South Bend who were told they had "the aggressive" breast CA, and that was more than ten years ago (no recurrences). I would tell you to be strong, look it right in the face, and stare it down. But, that's who you are and I already know that's what you will do. XOXO Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roses are red,
    Breast cancer ribbons are pink.
    You can do this battle.
    When you get low, of us you will think!

    Signed,
    The bad poet, Kathy Carrier

    ReplyDelete