Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!


It's the peace before the rush of this day begins, so thought I'd post a quick update. We are so blessed to have Kyle, Joel, Jo, Brian, Brooke, Parker, Finley and of course, my mom, MO with us today. Later we will travel to my brother Larry and dear sister-in-law Barb's to be with them for the evening with their kids and grand kids. What a blessed day this is...thanks be to God for sending his son, Jesus to us as example of that perfect love that we all strive to give and receive!

A couple of updates. First, telling my 97 year old mom was hard Friday, but she got lots of support from my sisters Marilyn and Carolyn calling, Larry and Barb being with us, and then staff at her assisted living facility all helping her through the day. I know many of you know "Mo" and I would love, if you have the time, for you to send her an email at molukens@webtv.net or a card at Helen Lukens, 271 Village Lane, Greenwood, IN 46143. She'll need lots of support through this...so if you're trying to find a wonderful loving way to help me...support Mo!

Second, we had an incredible meeting with my oncologist, Dr. Kathy Miller yesterday with Ted, Joel, Kyle and Dr. Jo in attendance. She literally spent an hour and a half with us, patiently answering all of our questions. We all liked her a lot. She is fairly certain I'll need chemo in addition to the required radiation, but she needs the lymph node results from the surgery to know which I'll have first, what the exact routines will be, etc. etc. So when I go back for my post-op visit on Wed, Jan 7th to see Goulet, I'll see her for all that news right afterward.

So really, the next two weeks will be about having fun, getting through the surgery Monday, then recovering and going in to see Goulet/Miller to see what's next! I'm not doing very well keeping up with all the many messages you're all sending me, but know for sure, that your words are lifting us all up...that goes for my entire family who reads your comments too!

3 comments:

  1. I will check on "Mrs. Lukens" as that is what I called her from the 4th grade on....hugs to all as you enjoy your family....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love from Colorado. Thinking of you tomorrow. My prediction (based on experience) is that you will be home, comfortable and giggling the very same day.

    Wen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, a hint for family. If they are taking the sentinal lymph nodes from Julie's arm pit.... make sure you find Julie a small pillow (5-6 inch square, an inch or 2 thick) or stuffed animal to place between her arm and her side. Makes that area much more comfortable as she heals those first few weeks! (also helpful under the seatbelt for the ride home)

    ReplyDelete