Sunday, December 21, 2008

Some good laughs!

Have you heard the expression "laughter is the best medicine"? Well, both Ted and Kyle have given me the gift of laughter this weekend. As Ted and I were discussing the pros and cons of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy, I shared that I just don't understand the concept of having only one breast removed. Even though the long term survival is the same, some women prefer to have their entire breast removed so they don't have to worry about the higher risk of local recurrence. But my thinking is different...if you still have to be vigilant about screening with the other side, then to me, there's no advantage...so I told Ted that the options I think make sense are lumpectomy vs. bilateral mastectomy.

With complete seriousness, he replied..."That makes sense to me too. You never buy just one tire...the balance and steering would be off. You always buy two tires." So now in our household, we've officially switched to discussing a tire patch vs. a two- tire change with re-balancing!


As we decided that this blog might be the best idea, we needed a blog title, so I asked the kids for ideas. Kyle was relieved that I came up with Julie's Pink Link as his ideas were "Cancer Schmancer" or "Boob Beat"! What a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment