Thursday, January 22, 2009

Making Music in the Rest!


OK, so you all know me so well right? So get this...what does my devotion say TODAY...the very day of my first chemo appointment? Here it is...

"There is no music in a rest, but there is the making of music in it. In our whole life melody the music is broken off here and there by "rests", and we foolishly think we have come to the end of the tune. God sends a time or forced leisure, sickness, disappointed plans, frustrated efforts, and makes a sudden pause in the choral hymn of our lives, and we lament that our voices must be silent, and our part missing in the music which ever goes up to the ear of the Creator. How does the musician read the "rest"? See Him beat the time with unvarying count, and catch up the next note true and steady, as if no breaking place had come between. Be it ours to learn the tune and not be dismayed at the rests."


I (perhaps you too?) struggle with these forced "rests", but have always found my greatest growth during the times when my part is missing in the music. God is good...lo and behold, the next note in my life will be a strong one...glorious, clear, and at a whole new level of symphony!! I'm sure of it!!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! You've got the right mindset working....don't lose focus that you are already healed in heaven & it just needs to manifest itself in your earthen body! I like that devotion. Makes me think of a book I borrowed from a dear friend and am resisting highlighting and making notes in. Songs of Silent Worship by Terri L. Terry....a book my friend bought at the bookstore at IHOP....International House of Prayer (not pancakes) in Kansas City. It talks about just getting quiet before the Lord and listening for His song. It also gives insight into the design of the tabernacle and how it was a foreshadow of us becoming His tabernacle....gotta love the symbolism of it all.
    If you ever get the opportunity, go to IHOP and just soak!!! They have 24 hours of praise & worship in their sanctuary (which originally was a strip mall!)...the back 5 rows are reserved for folks that want to nap while they soak in God's awesome presence!

    Ps 23(the most common scripture read at funerals) gives us a clue of His rest this side of eternity! In verse 2 it states "He makes me to lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters." He makes & leads....sometimes God has to slow us down so we can truly rest and reap the benefits of His rest which can be found in verse 3 "He restores my soul, He leads me in the paths of righteousness for HIS name sake." When we finally get quiet (stop singing, moving & working) we can enter into His rest and we reap the benefit of our souls being restored and walking in the path of righteosness. God is good! Be blessed sweet Julie & family....major hugs & blessings!

    ReplyDelete