Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mama Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said....

Hi everyone...Ted and I apologize for the late time of this posting. We didn't get back from my appointments with Goulet and Miller until almost 5pm and then, well...we just wanted time to be alone with the good news we had today and to share some wine together. So apart from some short calls to our kids and sibs and Mo, we focused on just being together and being relieved.

So here's the scoop. The 2 lymph nodes that they biopsied are CLEAN. The margins around the tumor are CLEAN. Praise God above for His answer to our collective fervent prayers and praise God for my earthly angels..all of YOU reading this blog!! The only surprise was that the tumor was NOT 1.3 cm as per the MRI scan two weeks ago, but 2.3 cm, which puts me in the "medium tumor" category, but that increases my risk only slightly.

So here's the plan. I will start chemotherapy (Taxotere and Cytoxan)on Jan 22nd and go every 3 weeks (2/12, 3/5, 3/26) for 4 doses total. This schedule permits me to still go on the short trips Ted and I had scheduled and to hopefully maintain my work schedule at IU. After I have chemo, I'll start radiation (exact timing and schedule TBD), then after radiation, I'll go on a hormone inhibitor orally for several years. I think I'm also going to participate in a clinical trial and have another drug added...they have found that the drug class that prevents osteoporosis, also may prevent breast cancer from metastasizing to your bone as it strengthens the bone and makes it a more dense, so less desirable place to set up cancer-shop. I have to read the full consent stuff, but I'll likely do that as it doesn't affect the rest of my care in any way. If anything, because I'm in the trial, I'll be pre-trial bone scanned, blood-watched and physician-watched more closely, so that's a good thing in my opinion.

So here's the fun part...you get to vote! Joel posted a survey below on the right-hand-side column of this blog...what should I wear? go with the cue ball look? a scarf? a wig? Ted wants to know what you all think I should do. These drugs have side effects...hair loss, fatigue, nausea, mouth sores, low white and red blood cell counts etc, but for every problem, they are ready with a solution, so I just have to call in the SWAT team if I'm having trouble and day or night...they're there!

So we feel good that we know what lies ahead...now we just have to do it! With all the love and support we're receiving...I have no doubts! Thanks be to God for all of you...I continue to be just overwhelmed and awed by the love you're pouring over me! Love you!

4 comments:

  1. My vote: I say embrace the baldness...why pretend? And who wants to deal with the fake hair? Doing my hair everyday is my LEAST favorite thing...Besides if you wrap your head with beautiful scarves you can use them again when you DO have hair! What will you do with a closet full of wigs?!

    I already found one for you....

    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod74800003&parentId=cat19520741&masterId=cat2830735&index=15&cmCat=cat000000cat2830732cat2830735cat19520741

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRAISE GOD!!!! Doing a dance of joy for you!!! A friend of mine battled breast cancer and did the chemo. She got a wig and it itched miserably, I'd say try the scarf route....Brooke is right you can use them again. Now if you opt for nothing that means Ted shaves his head too right??? Just kidding Ted!!! ;o) I know get back to work! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jiles,

    One of my girlfriends just went through all this a year ago. She bought two beautiful, expensive wigs. Tried wearing the one first. Itched her to death. Never wore the other one. She ended up wearing the most beautiful scarves, sometimes the cutest hats. She was much happier going all-natural and felt alot more comfortable. She donated her wigs to our Women's Center for cancer patients. So, I say nix the wigs :)

    Thanks for the great update!

    TFWC love,
    Gracia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Julie,

    Whatever you decide, you're beautiful, so do what would make "you" more comfortable, not what would please everyone else. I say show off your beauty!!!

    Love you,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete