Sunday, April 19, 2009

Race for the Cure

Ted and I are so thankful that I felt good enough to walk the Race for the Cure yesterday. It was an incredible experience! We started our day with a wonderful protein breakfast at our neighbor Cindy Lasher's house. There we met Kristin and Shannon, Cindy's friends, who became great supporters throughout the morning (see pictured with Ted and me).

We all walked to the IUPUI campus to find 40,000+ "pink people" ready to go. I left the group to find my "survivor" group which was the most moving part of the experience for me. While waiting on everyone to get organized, I heard their stories of fighting breast cancer, but most importantly it was amazing how quickly we all felt bonded to each other...knowing for sure that we were with people who truly understand what's it's like to walk this journey.




Once organized, all of us walked through multiple arches of pink balloons in the survivor parade. The picture above is taken as I walked through the pink archways with other survivors in the parade. People line the flag-lined parade route screaming, clapping and waving to their loved ones...it's really something to experience. The flags form a gigantic pink ribbon, which all the survivors literally fill in with their bodies, with their families in white shirts forming the outline surrounding us. Once all the survivors were included, a photographer high atop in a cherry picker, took our picture.

We all then enjoyed the 5K walk. I was surprised to see many people I knew along the way...Connie Frey with her sis-in-law Susie and friend Nora; my soon to be niece Julia Santi and her parents; my department chair Anne and her friend; a dear friend & co-faculty member and survivor as well Pat Ebright; Neesha and her friend from PeachTree where Brian and Brooke lived here in Indy; and even the little lady who serves us sushi at Bistro Chopstix with her family.

It was just an incredible experience, so if a Komen walk is ever in your city, I urge you to experience it. The whole experience will warm your heart and renew your sense that there's a lot of GOOD in the world!

4 comments:

  1. You look fabulous! Yesterday couldn't have been a better day to support such an amazing cause. I'm so glad you were able to attend. Take care!

    Jamie (IU 2North)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when you think you are all alone, God shows up in a mighty way through others and we see we are not so unique in our problems that there is common ground and strength to be shared. Sounds like a lovely day for you. Sending hugs & blessings from Carlisle! HUGGERS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! What a glorious day to support such a worthy cause. You look wonderful as always. Whose the old guy in the picture?
    Have a fabulous trip this week. We'll be thinking about you. love ya, mar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, it was such a wonderful surprise to see you at RFTC! You look amazing and I'm so glad you are feeling good. What a day, I can't believe you had the energy to finish the race and come all the way to Geist for our party! You are amazing,thank you for coming on Saturday, It was so much fun.
    Julia Santi

    ReplyDelete