Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thanks to my Wellness Team!




Nursing Staff on 2North
Nursing Staff in the Emergency Department
Dr. Rutherford, Emergency Department
Drs. Hannah & Cate & Deb Racster, RN
University Hospital
550 N. University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202

To all the good people on Julie Meek’s Wellness Team:

I just had to write to thank all of you for your wonderful care during my recent hospital stay, April 4-8th, 2009. I’ve shared with everyone in my life, that I absolutely had “world-class care”!

I truly appreciated…
• That when I came in late Saturday night to the ED, that the administrative staff checked me in right away and did such a good job with all my paperwork,
• That my nurses started the “post-chemo patient with fever” drill so quickly and that the lab responded so quickly, so Drs. Rutherford and Schneider knew right away what to do, thus preventing a bad situation from becoming a really life-threatening situation,
• That Dr. Rutherford was so totally peer-like in his approach to me and gave me “drips” of results vs. making me wait hours to know what was going on (believe it or not, we had a really great time sharing stories about how emergency medicine had changed since I left that world in 1992!),
• That my nurses on 2N, particularly Laura, Jaime and Jenelle, took every opportunity to ask me how I was doing and responded appropriately with both nursing intervention as well as executing the medical regimen with great precision,
• That Sharon took such good care of me and honored me by reading my ENTIRE blog after her long day at work and letting me know how much it meant to her,
• That Evan did a wonderful job meeting my every customer service need, but also adding loads of fun in his visits throughout my day,
• That the dear lady who brought my food (couldn’t see her nametag…sorry!) and the two sweet ladies who cleaned my room each day (again, couldn’t see your nametags very well as you were so busily cleaning!) were so pleasant and kind and always asked if I needed anything,
• That Dr. Hannah waited patiently the first morning while I got my doctor-son Brian on the phone and was so kind and thorough…I can tell he is a wonderful doctor and teacher!
• That Dr. Cate and all the other residents/students had so much fun placing bets on what my daily counts would be (so fun!) and advocated to get me home with Dr. Sledge (YEAH…great job Dr. Cate!),
• That Deb Racster would make a special trip back to me each afternoon with the “data” on my labs that I so loved to watch and keep track of (loved the graphs!), and
• That all the others who are unnamed here who ran my labs, cooked my food, delivered my drugs, kept my room warm, washed my linens, did the paperwork, and supervised/managed/administered the teams of people necessary to make it all work together for good, were doing their jobs too!!

So good people, great job! Please know how important your work is…each and every day. Thanks for remembering that I am a unique person…and respecting and treating me with such individualized care. Thanks for treating my husband Ted with such kindness too. You are a very special team and your passion for caring showed in every word and deed!

5 comments:

  1. Julis--Talked with Claudia this evening and learned that you had made a trip back to the hospital--just could not stay away, could you?! Anyway, hope you are back at home and doing well. We are always thinking about you.

    Dorella (and Steve)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to tell you that I love the blog. I truely started reading it, and couldn't stop. I also want you to know that you are a special person. I am so happy that God has lead me to meet someone like you. Thank you for letting me read and walk through the journey of your life. may God continue to bless you and please keep intouch. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    I am the clinical manager of 2 North and I was touched by your letter of recognition. I agree that the nursing staff on 2 North is very special and I shared your letter with both the Director and Vice President of Nursing.

    Continue to heal and God bless! Karen Brenner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie-
    Thank you so much for your beautiful letter-and thank you for sharing this blog with all of us! (as a blog addict-I'm thrilled!) I enjoyed having you on our floor-and as glad as I was that you were able to go home-I was sad at the same time! The conversations I had with you have stuck with me. You are such a kind, loving person and I'm so blessed to have met you. I look forward to keeping up with you.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie

    Thank you very much for the kind letter. I feel very lucky to have met and cared for you while you were on 2 North. I am looking forward to my first summer in Indy and thanks again for suggestions/websites. I hope to bump into you downtown or on Mass Ave. this summer.

    Evan

    ReplyDelete